Did you guys ever wonder where viruses like HPV, herpes, Epstein Barr came from? Why are 20 year old men being diagnosed with testicular cancer? Why are children being diagnosed with autoimmune conditions in record numbers? These epidemics were not the norm 60 years ago. Today 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Sadly, I don’t know one person who doesn’t have a friend or family member with cancer these days. And I don’t know about you, but HPV was unheard of. Now the statistics are staggering. One out of two women will be diagnosed as positive! (Usually indicated by a positive Pap smear, then further testing is required). Genital herpes gets one out of 4 people. 90% of people are seropositive for Epstein Barr-the virus that causes mono, who is also the hidden link behind thyroid disease, coinfections like Lyme, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia & lowered immunity. All of this leaves me thinking-what has happened to our immunity?! What are the secrets to living a disease free life? Why do we have many more synthetic medicines but everyone is sicker?
Ever since the industrial revolution which brought about many unsanitary working conditions, infections have been increasing. Fast forward to modern day, where we must watch everything that goes into our mouths, there’s Fukushima radiation in the oceans, endocrine disrupters, preservatives, and fillers everywhere! Not to mention the pesticides and heavy metals that are sprayed aerially for all to enjoy. What I’m trying to say here is that our collective immunity is being lowered, making us more susceptible to things like infections and cancer.
So you may be thinking-ok Dr Jess, that’s all understood but what do we do about it? You take your health into your own hands. You see a doctor for 20 minutes every year-they aren’t going to fix you. We can be guides, but you FIX YOU!! So here’s a bit of a guide. Not everyone has the same personal recipe and if you are sick, I recommend addressing emotional wounds and spiritual depravity as well. What makes you happy? Are you fulfilling your dreams or keeping others satisfied? Do you enjoy life? Do you question who you are and why you are here? Full health=mind, body & spirit. They are intimately connected.
1. Address diet: There is no correct diet for everyone. Not everyone can be vegan & heal properly. No one needs meat daily. No one needs dairy. The ketogenic diet may be right for one cancer patient but a plant based Gerson therapy diet may be correct for another. We need to be understanding of people’s divine bodies and what works for them. It does need to be a self loving plant based diet free from pesticides and genetically modified organisms. Only eat food your ancestors would recognize that grows from the earth. Remember real food does not have ingredients. It is ingredients.
2. Certain herbs + nutrients can certainly heal. Again, this is individualized for each person. I think diet is most important, but we also cannot downplay the importance of plant medicine. For immune boosting herbs, look into my Immune Master which will keep away flares from viruses & bacteria by helping to regulate the immune system. (Of course you can get all of these separately on your own too). It contains:
- probiotics which support healthy bacteria in the gut where 80% of your immunity resides
- chaga mushroom a powerful immune stimulator-for example, check out this one study published in Mediators of Inflammation in 2005-“In preventive medicine, defense against invasion by foreign bodies is dependent on enhancing the natural immune system, including activation of macrophages and NK cells. Macrophages stimulated by mushroom products release several inflammatory cytokines, IL-1, IL-6, IL-8, TNF-α, and NO, all of which directly induce tumoricidal activity in macrophages. (1) The immunomodulating action of mushroom metabolites is specially valuable as a means of prophylaxis, a mild and noninvasive form of treatment, prevention of metastatic tumors, and as a cotreatment with chemotherapy.”(2)
- zinc one of the best trace minerals to supplement as it helps increase digestive fire by aiding in an essential step in producing HCL, the acid necessary to trigger the release of digestive enzymes for absorption
- echinacea, a well known herb that has been proven to ward off viruses & colds in a number of studies. For years it has been used to ward off or provide early treatment for, colds and viruses. Preclinical studies lend biological plausibility to the idea that echinacea works through modulating immune mechanisms. Numerous clinical trials have been carried out on echinacea preparations: it appears that the extracts shorten the duration and severity of colds and other upper respiratory infections (URIs) when given as soon as symptoms become evident.
- Filtered water-A recent study done at the Puget Sound in Seattle showed birth control pills, cocaine & antidepressants mucking up the waterways. Invest in a worthwhile filter because no one should be drinking from the tap! Look into the Berkey or a reverse osmosis system. Water is life!
- Don’t forget about amla, one of the richest sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C is the best immune stimulator which explains why it is given in IV form as the Myers cocktail for cancer patients. It also explains why the FDA has quietly made it more difficult to continue and afford this amazing vitamin IV! Nearly everyone could benefit from higher doses of vitamin C for immune support.
Now that we’ve gone over the herbs in my Immunity Master, lets review some other useful herbs and modalities that will help when you want to keep nasty bugs out and your health at tip top shape.
Other excellent herbs & modalties include cats claw, digestive enzymes specifically pancreatin, mushrooms like reishi, turkey tail or chaga, THC/CBD coffee enemas, vitamin D, glutathione (the master antioxidant produced in the liver) and colostrum. Lets talk about what some of the herbs and healing modalities can be used to increase immunity. What do you say?
1. THC/CBD-We have an entire system know as the endocannabinoid system that medical school just did not teach us about! Many patients have deficiencies in this system and the natural marijuana plant can heal. And in moderation, marijuana and cannabinoids can balance out this system that runs from our brains to our bowels. I don’t necessarily recommend THC, tetrahydrocannabinoid, the psychoactive part of the plant to everyone, unless they’re suffering from cancer. THC is synergistic to CBD in its anticancer properties. (See my YouTube video on “what I would do if I got cancer”). However, cbd, or cannabinoid oil, is an excellent immunomodulator and anti inflammatory agent that can not only fight cancer, but excels at revving up immunity naturally.
2. Vitamin D-approximately one out of 3 patients I see is deficient in this hormone. Across the country, its estimated that 1 million Americans are deficient. Yes vitamin D is actually a hormone, not a vitamin as it has far reaching effects in the body, not just at the site of production in the skin. We have all been so frightened by the sun that we stay away and this isn’t the best course of action. We all need about 20-30 minutes a day in order to convert vitamin D to its active version. Nothing else can perform this feat, only the sun! Sunscreens have become a problem as most are chock full of endocrine disrupters & cancer PROMOTING agents like oxybenzene. I like Coola or Badger, who use zinc & other natural ingredients to protect us from UV rays.
3. Colostrum-colostrum is the first milk that comes out of the breast after a baby is born. It is produced by the mammary glands of all mammals during pregnancy. It provides the most nutrients and antibodies and is responsible for keeping the baby disease free for months or years. Today, colostrum has the casein and lactose removed and comes in a liposomal form which is more absorbable. It has been shown to increase immunologic properties that can enhance your ability to fight off microbes. “In conclusion, a bovine colostrum supplementation (Dynamic) increases serum IGF-I and saliva IgA concentrations in athletes during training. The increased concentration of IGF-I may have positive effects on protein synthesis, and the increased saliva concentration of IgA may activate the immunological defense against microbes on mucous membranes.” (4) You can buy it in powder or capsule form online but make sure it is liposomal form for the best absorption!
4. Digestive enzymes like pancreatin-In Gerson therapy, we have recently drastically increased the daily dosage of pancreatin for our cancer patients. It has helped many of them in a much quicker time frame than we have imagined. And this is not surprising if you do a quick search of digestive enzymes and their benefits. Published in the Journal Current Drug Metabolism in 2014, “As reviewed in this paper, enzyme supplementation therapy may play an important role in several digestive and malabsorption disorders, such as EPI and lactose intolerance. Currently, the animal-derived enzymes represent an established standard of care, however the growing study of plant-based and microbe-derived enzymes offers great promise in the advancement of digestive enzyme therapy.”(5). It makes sense when you remember that 80% of our immune cells and many of our serotonin receptors are located in the gut. We had better be giving them the ability to break down and absorb our nutrients with ample digestive enzymes, especially in the sick or elderly.
5. Cats claw-This South American herb has a wide variety of uses including displaying anti inflammatory properties, activity against ulcers, for wound healing, HIV, leukemia, and against viruses including herpes. In one study, “edible extract of cat’s claw has had protective action against respiratory inflammation in mice. Pivotal mechanism of cat’s claw is inhibition of iNOS and NF-κB expression that in turn have downregulated TNF-α, IL-1α, 1β, 10 and 17 successively. Also, little inactivation effect on COX-1 and COX-2 has been expressed through an in vivo study. This plant’s bark has demonstrated anti-inflammatory action exactly the same as dexamethasone in an animal model, while it has attenuated about 40% of IL-4 while dexamethasone has not.” Cats claw has proven beneficial for me with many of my patients in helping to modulate immunity and decrease pain.
Your body loves you and tries very hard to heal you in a sick world. We only need to find your specific recipe! If you’d like to start the journey into healing the natural way, contact me (under the consultations page) to be your guide while you become your own best doctor.
- 4. Wasser SP. Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;60(3):258–274. [PubMed]