DR JESS’S BLOG
TOPICS FROM DR JESS
DR JESS’S BLOG
TOPICS FROM DR JESS
What I Would Do If I Got Diagnosed with Cancer: Insight from One Medical Doctor
Patients ask me all the time about one dreaded diagnosis: CANCER. That word can scare the bejeezus out of just about any man or woman, regardless of age or situation. The mainstream medical system that I was trained in offers one big solution that most people would jump right on board with if it meant saving their life. It is chemotherapy. But does chemo and/or radiation offer us the best chance at life?
According to a 2004 report by Morgan, Ward, and Barton: “The contribution of cytotoxic chemotherapy to 5-year survival in adult malignancies. … survival in adults was estimated to be 2.3% in Australia and 2.1% in the USA.” This ground breaking study done over 14 years was published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. It looked at 22 different types of cancer in the US and Australia and studied 154,971 patients, ages 20 and older that were treated with chemo and other conventional methods. Only 3306 had survival that could be credited to chemotherapy alone. Yikes!
If you watch the CDC statistics, they often consider cancer cured after a 5 year survival period. They state that more Americans than ever are beating cancer, but this is a twisted truth. They also call anyone who has had cancer and is still alive…a “cancer survivor.” They also pat themselves on the back by saying that their interventions and early detection techniques have saved most of these patients. How true is this? On top of this, they are not counting what happened to many patients after the 5 year mark as well as the the incidence of cancer has gone up since the 1970s, so of course there are many more who are survivors out of an increased incidence of cancer diagnoses.
The industry, in my opinion, is creating disease with sick food, excessive radiation, polluted water, high stress jobs, increasing incidence of pathogens and heavy metals, and then giving us their profitable solution. Not very ethical and when you break down the statistics, not very reassuring either. Theres no profit in health, my friends.
So the truth is that if I got diagnosed with cancer, there are only a handful of cancers that I would treat with chemotherapy. Even Gerson therapy (I am a practitioner) occasionally recommends chemotherapy if they need to buy time. Detoxing and healing often take time and if someone is at stage IV, which means the cancer has spread from its initial site to other organs, they may need that extra time. Otherwise, the only cancers that are truly successful with chemo are testicular cancer, some lymphomas and leukemias. And thats only at about a 40% success rate.
So without further ado if I got cancer, here is what I would do to treat it in a way that I think would be most successful.
1. Gerson Therapy-How could I practice Gerson and not believe in it? I went to become a practitioner because I do believe in their philosophy and in the treatments. What is Gerson? Dr Max Gerson was a German Medical Doctor in NYC in the 1930s who noticed that his tuberculosis patients were curing their concurrent cancer using his juicing regimen. He standardized the process and wrote a book, A Cancer Therapy, Result of 50 Cases which detail his experience with Gerson therapy. The therapy utilizes green juice, apple juice, carrot apple and orange as well as a vegan diet, coffee enemas and supplements to treat cancer. It is a complete detoxification process and seeks to increase natural immunity enough to successfully treat the disease. For juicing, it is recommended to preserve the nutritional content, so the juice should be prepared hourly using a two-step juicer or a masticating juicer used with a separate hydraulic press. This helps prevent denaturation — when vitamins, minerals and enzymes are destroyed. (Most commercial juicers spin so fast that they heat up juice to the point they are basically pasteurized!) Supplementation has advanced over the years but the main staples of Gerson include:
In fact, many of the supplements that I will speak of below are also used in Gerson therapy! The biggest fear with Gerson is usually the coffee enema part. Don’t worry-I’ve tried it so I can give you the first hand experience. You want to lie on your right side and use only organic coffee beans. Lying on the right ensures that the coffee is stimulating the liver to produce S-glutathione, which is a master antioxidant in the body. It gets depleted easily-from alcohol, stress, and as we age. A little TMI-but once you hold it for 8-10 minutes, then empty your bowels, you feel pretty amazing. The enemas were the ONLY thing that stopped my brain tumor patient’s headaches, unsteady gait and double vision. He actually wanted to do them! The thyroid supplement is used to rev up metabolism, while putting in nutrients and detoxing toxins out with enemas. The best success in Gerson is with skin cancers, specifically melanoma, but I have seen it shrink an endometrial tumor as well as an indeterminate brain tumor. Check out their site at http://www.gerson.org for more info.
2. Ginger-There are over 400 studies on pubmed supporting the use of ginger in anticancer treatments. One study out of Georgia State found that whole ginger extract reduced prostate tumor size by 56% in mice! A study done in the Journal PLOS revealed that the compound, 6-Shagaol, is superior to the chemotherapeutic agent, Taxol for targeting breast cancer stem cells. Stem cells are the mother proliferator cells in cancer and give rise to the multitude of mutated cells that make up a tumor. Moreover, ginger is non toxic to non cancerous cells. Ginger induces apoptosis, or programmed cellular death in cancer cells!
3. Digestive enzymes-this has been a staple in what I recommend to cancer patients. As 80% of our immune cells are in our gut, it is imperative to keep the proper bacterial balance so we can keep our immune systems strong. We are literally walking bacteria. A balance of healthy bacteria leads to less infections and stellar health. If our good bacteria is overrun with bacteria that intend to siphon our nutrients, like parasites or Bactericides firmacutes, then we will have trouble fighting off infections and even losing weight. This puts us at higher risk of cancer, moreover, many infections are now linked to playing a role in developing cancer. Digestive enzymes are lacking in many who have GERD, indigestion, IBS or recurrent infections. The standard American diet often alkalinizes our barrier against pathogens, making it more hospitable for invasion. We do want an alkaline blood and pH, but our guts are supposed to be acidic. Why? Because digestive enzymes are only released at a pH of 3, so if your gut is alkaline, you won’t release the necessary enzymes that help us break down and absorb all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins from our food. In fact, many people’s acid reflux is due to hypochlorohydria, or low stomach acid (meaning an alkaline gut). Adding digestive enzymes can help our immune systems fight as we are aiding with absorption.
4. Budwig Diet-The Budwig diet is a diet developed by Dr Johanna Budwig, a German biochemist, in the 1950s. It uses flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese in its approach to fight cancer. Flaxseed oil is a source of polyunsaturated fatty acids such as alpha linolenic acid, which is effective in decreasing inflammation. Dr Budwig also encouraged a vegetarian diet with vegetables, fruit and juices. It stresses the removal of sugar, meats, and most dairy products from the cancer patient’s diet. The diet also stresses the use of quark cheese rather than good ole fashioned cottage cheese, which can often contain processed fillers or recombinant bovine growth hormone. The Quark cottage cheese comes from Europe, is unsweetened and more bitter than regular cottage cheese. It is also rich in sulfur and makes for a more absorbable template for the flaxseed oil. Of course, none of this will work without a drastic lifestyle change and Dr Budwig discouraged intake of meat, other dairy and sugar. She also recommended lots of fresh fruit, veggies and juicing as well as Frankincense oil and plenty of sunlight.
5. Turmeric with Black Pepper/Curcumin-Turmeric has been a staple in eastern countries and places like India and the Southeast Pacific rarely see Alzheimers disease. There are many confounding factors but one theory is they avoid inflammatory conditions due to the daily use of this spice in the cooking. Turmeric has shown great promise in recent research. It even has been shown to kill off cancer stem cells, which is something that even regular chemotherapy cannot accomplish. Studies show that turmeric, and the active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, can decrease tumor size and help ward off colon and breast cancer. In fact, a 2007 laboratory study showed that combining curcumin with chemo killed way more bowel cancer cells than chemo alone! I have given this IV to many of my patients who suffer from cancer or inflammation and it really has some amazing results. The downside is that turmeric is not very absorbable, so either buy the active ingredient of curcumin, or add black pepper/pepperine to the turmeric to increase absorption!
6. Vitamin B17/Laetrile-also known as amygdalin, was banned in the USA in the 1980s due to being a cyanide containing substance. It was labeled as quack medicine while others herald its ability to destroy cancer cells through the production of hydrogen cyanide. When in Gerson therapy training, I met a nephrologist from Spain and an oncologist from Trinidad and Tobago that both used Vitamin B17 in their practices and fully believed in its ability. More studies are needed, but one study done at the Department of Physiology at Kyung Hee University in South Korea showed that it induced programmed cell death in mutated prostate cancerous cells. Animal studies also confirm its effective at killing cancerous bladder and brain cells. Still other studies show no benefit so until definitive proof is present, medicine has essentially scoffed at this natural treatment. If you decide to use vitamin B17, be sure to start slow and work your way up. Start with 5 a day as there is a small chance of hypotension, or lowering of blood pressure, due to the cyanide. Cancer cells have an enzyme not present in normal cells that is needed to release the cyanide; this is why it selectively targets diseased cells. Work your way up to 10-15/day.
7. Vitamin C IV/Myers cocktail/liposomal vitamin C-this pro-oxidant therapy is used in holistic and functional doctor’s offices around the globe. I get a vitamin C IV once a month just for prevention of pathogens and to promote general immunity. Some might argue that vitamin C, like ozone, is a pro-oxidant and thats not always good. Pro-oxidants are not bad, per se, but need to be balanced with antioxidants. For example, nitric oxide is needed in the body in specific amounts, but is considered a pro-oxidant and free radical. Pro-oxidant effects appear to be responsible for destroying mutated tumor cells. They may also induce endogenous antioxidant systems in our tissues that then offer us protection against carcinogens. If you can’t get IVs, liposomal vitamin C is also quite efficacious. Liposomes are small, more absorbable forms of a vitamin using nanotechnology. Foods rich in vitamin C would also be useful. Think acerola, amla, red peppers, citrus fruits.
8. Ozone-ozone is 03 (3 atoms of oxygen rather than 2), and yes, I talk about it a lot because I’ve seen the results from it! It is what protects our atmosphere and in the right form, can protect us as well. Ozone turns into hydrogen peroxide and and one atom of oxygen in the body and therefore, is considered another pro-oxidant. It travels through the body and oxidizes any viruses or microbes and unhealthy cells while leaving healthy cells in tack. It has been used by physicians in Germany since the 1960s. In Cuba, there is an ozone generator in nearly every hospital emergency room. Again, this is forbidden by mainstream medicine in the USA. Ozone is considered an irritant in gaseous form, but used in IVs or bubbled into a medium like hemp or olive oil, ozone can be life saving. As we are deficient in oxygen these days, have acidic overall body pHs, and oxygen has been proven to be detrimental to cancerous cells, ozone can pack a powerful punch. It turns the blood from maroon to bright red and fully oxygenates it before returning it back to the body. One study by V. Bocci determined that major autohemotherapy, or infusing ozone into the blood, arrests the progression of HIV in its early phases due to immunoregulatory TH1 type of cytokines and CD7 lymphocytes, or white blood cells. They insist in Cuba that if a person infected with HIV receives ozone before it gets to the lymphatic and bone systems, HIV can be successfully killed on the spot!
9. Probiotics-optimizing your gut flora will reduce inflammation and increase your natural immunity so you can fight the cancer. All of my treatments start with the gut. Eat loads of naturally fermented foods like miso, kimchi, and fermented cabbage, like sauerkraut. Throwing in a good probiotic supplement is also advantageous if you’ve already been diagnosed with cancer. I personally really like Renew or Prescript Assist. This can really change the bacterial flora and therefore, immunity throughout your whole system!
10. Vitamin D-this is more of a hormone than a vitamin but cannot be stressed enough in its role in preventing cancer. Some studies show that you can decrease your risk by half by optimizing your vitamin D levels with sunlight and diet. If you have already been diagnosed with cancer, I recommend supplementing exogenously with vitamin D. I like my cancer patients’ D levels to be 50-80. Often, this takes healing a leaky gut, checking for genetic mutations that may prevent proper absorption and supplementing with 2000 to 5000 IU daily until the levels are appropriate. Many times, patient often need to take K2 in conjunction with vitamin D for levels to raise. As vitamin D is activated by sunlight, this means you need 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily.
11. Soursop/Graviola-Graviola is a tree in the African rainforests, South America and Southeast Asia. The active ingredient is a phytochemical called annonaceous acetogenins. There have not been enough studies done on humans, but in laboratory studies, graviola extracts does kill liver and breast cancer cells that were resistant to chemotherapy. I have not had personal experience with treating patients with soursop, so the consensus is still out. I do however, believe the earth gave us everything to heal in plant, herb, fruit or vegetable form. We don’t necessarily need manmade chemicals if we live a life of prevention.
12. Cannabis-This is a controversial and ever growing topic, but I personally work in the cannabis industry and give consults to autoimmune and cancer patients regularly. If medical doctors would look at the independent research, they would see that there is no denying that cannabis can help treat cancer. From the National Cancer Institute (NCI)’s website:
“The potential benefits of medicinal cannabis for people living with cancer include antiemetic effects, appetite stimulation, pain relief, and improved sleep. In the practice of integrative oncology, the health care provider may recommend medicinal cannabis not only for symptom management but also for its possible direct anti tumor effect.”
Did you know that you have a prominent endocannabinoid system from your brain to your bowels? It has a direct effect on inflammation throughout the body. CBD, the non psychoactive part of the plant, has stopped seizures in children with refractory epilepsy, calms brain inflammation, fights parasites and 9 out of 10 of my patients wean off their narcotics for good. THC, is the psychoactive part of the plant and has been shown to be synergistic with CBD in fighting cancer. I recommend seeking out a grower who is skilled in making Rick Simpson Oil. He is a man who began extracting the marijuana plant in a unique way. He cured his cancer, then his friends and then the DEA came and shut down his lab. He was put in prison. For more info, watch Run for the Cure on youtube, all about Rick Simpson and his lifesaving oil.
13. Mistletoe therapy-used frequently in Germany and Switzerland, mistletoe therapy has been evaluated in numerous clinical studies and successfully stimulates the immune system. Remember, friends, nothing can beat our immune systems when they have been given the proper tools. It is prepared using mistletoe extract and combining that with lactobacillus plantarum.
14. Lifestyle changes/ketogenic diet/general prevention-Last but definitely not least, lifestyle changes are necessary to not only beat cancer, but prevent recurrences. The patients that I see do the best are the ones who avoid factory farmed meat, processed dairy, tap water, and boxed carbohydrates. They throw out their toxic cosmetics, bath soaps, shampoos and body lotions. They avoid regular deodorants, antiperspirants and perfumes/colognes. They completely changes their lives. Gerson therapy and the Budwig protocol both allude to the fact that diet is nothing short of imperative in the fight against cancer. It is a shame that most hospitals and mainstream doctors still see not problem with pesticide laden GMOs, factory farmed meats, and sugar for their patients. I usually recommend a ketogenic, or high healthy fat and low carb diet for many of my cancer and autoimmune patients. Carbohydrates are not the enemy as long as they are chosen wisely-fiber is especially important and is a carbohydrate! Fruits and veggies are our friend. Studies show that hyperbaric oxygen, when combined with a ketogenic diet, slows tumor growth and had a 77.9% increase in mean survival time compared to controls.
Please have dental revisions to remove mercury amalgams. Mercury is a neurotoxin and needs to be replaced with a safe composite. Root canals should also be reversed as they become an ongoing source of toxic waste products from the residual bacterial infection.
Proper sleep of at least 8-9 hours/night, drinking plenty of non fluoridated water, exercising, and finding peace are also necessary to fight cancer. Remember that emotions can get stuck within our bodies, leading to disease and physical manifestation eventually. Forgiveness of others and self is one of the biggest ways to heal our wounds. I recommend journaling to many of my patients. Often, people can pinpoint a time in their life when there was emotional turmoil, physical or mental trauma and then shortly thereafter, they were diagnosed with cancer or an autoimmune condition. Journaling lets you get your deeply “stuck” emotions out, especially if you are brave enough to revisit that time in your life when the stresses or trauma occurred. You might find yourself shedding tears, but remember-that is growth and healing. Water cleanses the body while tears cleanse the soul.
I want you to know that I am not an oncologist, however I do specialize in immunity. I fully believe our bodies and immune systems have the capacity to heal and regenerate if given the proper avenues. Your body wants to heal you! Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Much Love and always remember to be your own best doctor
Dr. Jess (Dr. Jessica Peatross) is a western trained medical doctor who began her journey into healing in 2009.
Sign up to get health tips for FREE!