“Waiting for high levels of scientific and clinical proof before taking action to prevent well-known risks can lead to very high health and economic costs, as was the case with asbestos, leaded petrol and tobacco.” —The European Commission
I’ll never forgot the day my dad came home from Panera Bread talking about “hot spots” and how you could go there and use the internet! So much has changed since then. Now restaurants are coffed at if they don’t have a public Wifi password. Times have changed so much. Our lives are a blur of hustle and responsibility. So much so that I often wonder if we are questioning the techonolgy that pops up under our noses.
5G is upon us. And we cannot assume that it has been properly tested when corporations are set to make money off of the new technology. AT&T and Verizon are laying thousands of miles of antenna and set to rack in the cash, but who is thinking about the full health consequences? The media seems to mostly be avoiding the topic with the exception of a few.
CBS recently reported,
“The wireless industry is in a race to roll out. The network is supposed to be up to 100 times faster than current data speeds, but it requires cellphone tower equipment to be closer to users than before. Wireless companies in the U.S. say they’ll have to install about 300,000 new antennas – roughly equal to the total number of cell towers built over the past three decades. That’s causing outrage and alarm in some neighbourhoods, as antennas go up around homes.”
Is it tested before launched? is it safe? What are the longterm consequences?What exactly does the lower frequency EMF like routers, Gwen towers, smart meters, wifi or bluetooth mean for our physical and mental health?
Before I dig in, lets lay the facts down here. We have all been so acclimated to hot spots, wifi and the upcoming 5G that it may sound counterintuitive to hear this information. Understand that humans only see 0.0035% of the electromagentic spectrum. We cannot visualize gamma rays, xrays, microwaves or radio waves. WiFi operates in the 2 to 5 GHz range, similar to the microwave portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is in the same part of the spectrum where cell phones operate so I may refer to WiFi, radio frequency, or cellphone electromagnetic radiation interchangeably. However, 5G applications will require unlocking of new spectrum bands in higher frequency ranges above 6 GHz to 100 GHz and beyond, utilizing submillimeter and millimeter waves – to allow ultra-high rates of data to be transmitted in the same amount of time as compared with previous deployments of microwave radiation..Just because something is invisbile to the naked eye makes it no less real, or without consequences. And some of the recent studies are alarming.
“Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Radiation does not break chemical bonds but does affect biological systems. Some biological effects of RF EMR appear to be mediated by an increase in free radicals, mediated by calcium channel membrane alterations. RF EMR in wireless devices has been shown to increase reactive oxygen species (ROS) in cells. Excess ROS generates oxidative stress, a damaging process that can, in excess, alter cell structures such as proteins, lipids, lipoproteins, and DNA. Oxidative stress is associated with development of chronic diseases such as cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, autoimmune diseases and aging. Reactive oxygen species are also produced by exposure to pollutants, tobacco smoke, pesticides, industrial chemicals, heavy metals and some drugs. Many studies show that antioxidants inhibit damage from wireless radiation as well as chemicals.”-Physicians for Safe Technology
EMF promotes oxidative stress, a condition involved in cancer onset, in several acute and chronic diseases and in vascular homeostasis. Although some evidences are still controversial, the WHO IARC classified EMF as “possible carcinogenic to humans”, and more recent studies suggested reproductive, metabolic and neurologic effects of EMF, which are also able to alter bacterial antibiotic resistance.
As I sit in front of my computer….giant eye roll.
EMF Can Change Our Microbiome (Gut Inhabitants)
For example, research from the Journal Dose-Response, showed that E. coli and Listeria, two pathogenic bacteria, were able to overcome antibiotic’s bacteriocidal (killing power) activity when placed near 2.4GHz and 900MHz radiation and cell phone. They also increased growth when exposed to certain high frequency EMR.
Dr Dietrich Klinghardt, MD warns that mycotoxins or mold can explode in growth after exposure to EMF. “A Swiss mold researcher once conducted some simple experiments to measure the virulence and presence of mold and mold toxins in high EMF environments. HE exposed molds to a WI-Fi router and found the production of mycotoxins was dramatically increased by the energetic frequencies. The virulence of the mold toxins also increased 600-fold.”
Multiple studies have elicited that manmade frequencies can interfere with bacterial communication. This makes sense since bacteria communicate using FREQUENCIES and considering we are more bacteria than cells, you might see why this is concerning.
Risk of Cancer
Research does show a strong correlation between long term cell phone radiation and brain cancer. This is thought to be due to oxidative and free radical damage as well as epigenetic changes. The majority of studies are systematic reviews that show elevated risk of glioma with long term exposure.
In May 2011 the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) evaluated cancer risks from radiofrequency radiation. Human epidemiological studies gave evidence of increased risk for glioma and acoustic neuroma. Electromagnetic radiation was classified as Group 2B, a possible human carcinogen. Further studies have strengthened the association. In spite of this, in most countries little or nothing has been done to reduce exposure and educate people on health hazards from Wi-Fi or cell phones. On the contrary ambient levels have increased.
In 2015 Lerchl et al published an important replication study which confirms that wireless acts as a tumor promoter. In this important study, lymphomas and tumors of the lungs and livers in exposed animals were significantly higher. The wireless exposure was at low to moderate exposure levels well below exposure limits for the users of mobile phones.This research is significant in that it used a larger group of mice and replicated tumor-promoting effects shown in a 2010 study. Yikes!
Risk of Infertility
Obviously this is not something easily studied in humans. However, there are some animal studies.
A paper published in 2017 showed increasing rates of infertility may be related to EMF. It reviews proteomic experimental and clinical evidence that EMF acts as a male-mediated teratogen and contributor to infertility.
Research also shows damage after wireless exposure to the ovaries of rats and mice, as well as changes in the eggs of flies and birds.
And the newest research published in the Journal of Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, “From currently available studies it is clear that radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) have deleterious effects on sperm parameters (like sperm count, morphology, motility), affects the role of kinases in cellular metabolism and the endocrine system, and produces genotoxicity, genomic instability and oxidative stress. This is followed with protective measures for these radiations and future recommendations. The study concludes that the RF-EMF may induce oxidative stress with an increased level of reactive oxygen species, which may lead to infertility. This has been concluded based on available evidence from in vitro and in vivo studies suggesting that RF-EMF exposure negatively affects sperm quality.”
Impaired Memory and Decline in Cognitive Function
“We have shown that behavioral problems in mice that resemble ADHD are caused by cell phone exposure in the womb,” said Dr. Hugh Taylor of Yale Medical School. “The rise in behavioral disorders in human children may be in part due to fetal cellular telephone irradiation exposure.”
In a 2017 study on rats, reserachers found:
- exposure to non-ionizing radiation of 2.45 GHz caused detrimental changes in rat brain leading to learning and memory decline and expression of anxiety behavior.
- exposure to radiation induced oxidative stress and fall in brain antioxidants.
- exposure triggered the gene expression of caspase 3, a gene having to do with apoptosis, or cell death
Moreover, in The International Journal of Radiation Biology vol 16, 2015 a study showed significant effects on micro RNAs from Wi-Fi expsure. that was well below the legal limit. The consclusion was that long term exposure of 2.4 GHz RF may lead to adverse effects such as neurodegenerative brain diseases originated from the alteration of some miRNAs expression.
It makes sense that this technology may interfere with bacterial communication, that it may also be tied into immuntiy disruption. 80% of our immune system is contained in gastrointestinal associated lymph tissue, or GALT, contained in the bacteira in our guts.
A study done in 2017 hypothesized that exposure to EMR may inhibit the response of our immune systems by means of an abnormal influx of calcium into the cell, which causes inflammation and pro oxidants like reactive oxygen species, which increases calcineurin. Calcineurin is linked to immunosuppression and an increase in opportunitic infections, like mold or candida.
The Bees Also Feel the Buzz…
Unfortunately we aren’t the only ones who might be affected by abnormal elctromagnetic waves. Studies are showing that some of the bee colony collapse and dwindling numbers may have to do with sensitvity to EMR and Wi-Fi. In many studies, bees exposed to radiation constructed fewer hive cells and returned to the hive much less after pollinating. In one study, 39.7% of the non-irradiated bees returned to their hives while only 7.3% of the irradiated bees had!
After reviewing the literature, there is an urgent need for further research and “of the 919 research papers collected on birds, bees, plants, other animals, and humans, 593 showed impacts, 180 showed no impacts, and 196 were inconclusive studies”.
Other Risks from 5G in the literature include:
- Damage to the eyes- cataracts, retina
- Metabolic and mitochodrial disruption
- Skin damage
- Behavioral changes
- Difficulty sleeping/insomnia (also caused by blue light exposure alone)
- increased blood brain barrier permeability and imparired glucose metabolism
Call to Action
In 2017, the state of California Department of Public Health issued a warning about mobile phone exposure and offered advice about how to reduce exposure and use.
Over 240 scientists and doctors from 41 nations who have published research in the field have appealed to the United Nations calling for urgent action to reduce these ever growing wireless exposures and they wrote the FCC for a moratorium on the roll-out of 5G citing the serious risks that to human health and the environment.
The Global Union Against Radiation Deployment from Space (GUARD) addressed a letter to the FCC in September of 2016, bringing to their attention the harm 5G will inflict. GUARD warned the FCC that 5G violates Article 3 of The UN Declaration of Human Rights which states that “everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.” The document is laden with research, information and global support.
READ THE FINE PRINT FROM CELL PHONE AND SMART METER COMPANIES:
Apple Watch: During testing, Apple Watch radios are set to their highest transmission levels and placed in positions that simulate use against the head, with 10mm separation, and on the wrist, with no separation. When placing Apple Watch near your face, keep at least 10mm of separation to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the as-tested levels.
Electricity Smartmeter: RF Exposure Information: This equipment complies with the FCC RF radiation requirements for uncontrolled environments. To maintain compliance with these requirements, the antenna and any radiating elements should be installed to ensure that a minimum separation distance of 20 cm is maintained from the general population
IPhone 7: “During testing, iPhone radios are set to their highest transmission levels and placed in positions that simulate uses against the head, with no separation, and when worn or carried against the torso of the body, with 5mm separation. To reduce exposure to RF energy, use a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, the supplied headphones, or other similar accessories. Cases with metal parts may change the RF performance of the device, including its compliance with RF exposure guidelines, in a manner that has not been tested or certified.”
So How Can I Protect Myself?
“Wired technology is safe technology. The healthiest thing to do is to ensure you have a home corded landline phone and corded computer (with wireless functions turned off).Remember, home cordless phones emit radiation like cell phones, so every home should have a corded landline (with a curly cord to the handset). Forward cell phones to your home line while you are at home. Prefer this corded phone for voice conversations.If you use a cell phone for social media, music or other facetime, we recommend using your corded ethernet computer for these uses to minimize cell phone use. There is not a “safe level” of cell phone radiation. Therefore if you must use a cell phone, please reduce exposure with the strategies listed below.”
Dr Jess’s tips for Protecting Your Body and Mind:
- Distance yourself from your phone/bluetooth-at least 8-10 inches
- Try not to use your phone when there’s a weak signal
- Don’t carry yourself on your body, especially around your reproductive organs (front pockets)
- Keep cell phones and EMF away from children, whose immune systems are still developing
- Sleep with your phone and Wi-Fi routers off
- Try to use a landline rather than a cell phone
- Avoid using your cell phone on airplanes or when you are in metal transits
- Stay educated by reading the fine print in the manuals
- Try earthing outside which can reset the excess EMF using the earth’s natural negatively charged ions
- Look into grounding mats and tents
- Understand your exposures. Understand the different types of EMFs and how they behave – hence the need to share articles like this one. Education is key.
- Purchase blue light blocking glasses which prevent confusion about when to produce melatonin-this should help your sleep if you need to be on a computer or phone once the sun has gone down. Heres my favorite brand: https://www.swanwicksleep.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgMPgBRDDARIsAOh3uyKevawxAMgAcIjDymrbxpPBAgSAFA23TJakT9oV13TqK9rEKlAvJfoaAt9mEALw_wcB
- Measure – use an EMF reader to obtain readings and identify hotspots.
- Always be mindful and mitigate your exposure.
5G is personally frightening to me because there wil be nowhere safe to hide. Thats why its improtant to be educated as that is tthe only way to control this. SHARE THIS ARTICLE! Review the refrences below and learn how to speak out here:
- 5 G wireless telecommunications expansion: Public health and environmental implications. Russell CL.Environ Res. 2018 Aug;165:484-495. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2018.01.016. Epub 2018 Apr 11.
- Di Ciaula A. Towards 5G communication systems: Are there health implications? Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018 Apr;221(3):367-375. doi:10.1016/j.ijheh.2018.01.011. Epub 2018 Feb 2. Review. PubMed PMID: 29402696.
- Foster K.R., Moulder J.E. “Wi-Fi is an important threat to human health” Environmental Research, Volume 168, 2019
- Millimeter waves or extremely high frequency electromagentic fields in the environment: what are their effects on bacteria?
Dose Response. 2017 Jan 23;15(1):1559325816688527. doi: 10.1177/1559325816688527. eCollection 2017 Jan-Mar.Evaluation of the Effect of Radiofrequency Radiation Emitted From Wi-Fi Router and Mobile Phone Simulator on the Antibacterial Susceptibility of Pathogenic Bacteria Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli. Taheri M1, Mortazavi SM2, Moradi M1, Mansouri S1, Hatam GR3, Nouri F4.
- World Health Organization, radiofrequency radiation and health – a hard nut to crack (Review) Hardell L. World Health Organization, radiofrequency radiation and health – a hard nut to crack (Review). Int J Oncol. 2017 Aug;51(2):405-413. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2017.4046.
- Proteomic impacts of electromagnetic fields on the male reproductive system Sepehrimanesh, M. & Davis, D.L. Proteomic impacts of electromagnetic fields on the male reproductive system. Comp Clin Pathol. 26(2):309-313. 2016.
- Kim, Ju Hwan, et al. “Long-term exposure to 835 MHz RF-EMF induces hyperactivity, autophagy and demyelination in the cortical neurons of mice.”Scientific Reports, vol. 7, no. 41129, 2017.
- Varghese, Rini, et al. “Rats exposed to 2.45 GHz of non-ionizing radiation exhibit behavioral changes with increased brain expression of apoptotic caspase 3.” Pathophysiology (2017).
- Doyon, P. R., and O. Johansson. “Electromagnetic fields may act via calcineurin inhibition to suppress immunity, thereby increasing risk for opportunistic infection: Conceivable mechanisms of action.” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 106, 2017, pp. 71-87.