WHAT IS GLYPHOSATE?
Glyphosate, better known through its popular formulation as Round Up Ready, is Monsanto’s premier pesticide/herbicide that has increased greatly in use since the early 2000s. It has not been well studied. As glyphosate usage has increased, so has the adoption of genetically engineered crops such as corn, soy and cotton that have been designed to withstand pesticides. Epidemiological data readily available on the web from US government sources indicate a remarkably strong correlation between glyphosate application to corn and soy and multiple neurological disorders, as will be shown via graphs taken directly from the study I am referencing. See below courtesy of this wonderfully conducted study.
All graphs courtesy of http://file.scirp.org/Html/5-3000951_53106.htm
Although correlation does not equal causation, the trends observed above are quite revealing and troublesome..
Round up’s active ingredient, glyphosate, works synergistically with aluminum, which is often present in certain foods, water, and vaccines, to induce neurological damage. If you ask Monsanto, they will tell you that in vivo studies showed Round Up to be nontoxic to animals. However, there are two large problems with this assumption.
- Firstly, the studies were too short as they were only performed for 3 months on average.
- Secondly these absolutely skewed studies were only performed using pure glyphosate but left out the combination of adjuvants/fillers that have always been contained in the herbicide that is sold on shelves. These adjuvants include polyethoxylated alkylamines (POEAs), which is known to be extremely toxic on its own and can synergistically increase the toxicity of Glyphosate by 125 fold! These authors wrote ( Abstract, p. 1): “Despite its reputation, Roundup was by far the most toxic among the herbicides and insecticides tested”. It is harmful to humans as it disrupts the Shikimate pathway that is present in plants but not in animal cells. This argument overlooks the fact that our gut bacteria also have the Shikimate pathway and they use it to make essential nutrients that our own cells can’t make.This includes many amino acids, which have been found to be extremely low in Alzheimers and Autism cases.(1)
One important study that echoed these results was performed by the researcher, Gilles-Eric Seralini. Sadly, it was published and then retracted from the journal. It showed rats fed GM corn and soy over their entire lifetime developed mammary tumors, liver and kidney malfunctions. The controversy stemmed from the study sample size and other fraudulent allegations about how the research was conducted. However, considering the power and political pull that Monsanto has, you should question the legitimacy of these claims. Fortunately, the same study has now been republished by another journal
THE GUT-BRAIN CONNECTION
Studies are now linking glyphosate alone to disrupted gut bacteria. This matters because a healthy gut micro biome with species like lactobacillus or bacteroides works in unison and harmony with our bodies. However, if our gut permeability is increased, (or how “leaky” the membrane, letting things pass through our defenses and into the bloodstream) then this is when we see a rise in chronic conditions like eczema, psoriasis, anxiety, depression, autoimmune conditions and neurologic problems like autism and dementia. Our gut membrane becomes permeable due to an imbalance of pathogenic bacteria or parasites that work against our body’s digestive functions. For example, eating a diet high in sugar/processed carbs feeds pathogenic bacteria like Bacteroides Firmicutes, which has been shown to alter the natural pH of the gut. This is vital because an acidic pH is what triggers the release of digestive enzymes. Without these enzymes, we don’t properly break down food for absorption. This leads to a bunch of humans that are nutritionally deprived of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that run every process in our bodies.
What connects the gut, or second brain, to the actual brain is the vagus nerve. The gut speaks more to the brain than the brain speaks to the gut. The gut, or should I say the bacteria that make up our gut, decide what cravings we endure, whether we feel happy or sad, how quickly we can gain or lose weight, and how efficiently our immune systems work. Why? Because 80% of our immune cells are contained in gastrointestinal associated lymphatic tissue (GALT) and 90% of our serotonin receptors are inside our intestines! It all begins in the gut! What we now know is that the neuroendocrine system, brain and gut all have a “chemical language” that is not fully understood by modern science. When the gut is disrupted, we see issues with immunity, sleep patterns, digestion, and mood.
So how does Glyphosate and aluminum in Round Up affect neurologic conditions? Well I’ve alluded to it when I described the gut-brain connection via the vagus nerve. But there is another very important organ that is connected to neurologic conditions like Alzheimers, Parkinsons, autism, schizophrenia, anxiety and depression. It is linked to spirituality, yoga and meditation and ancient cultures around the world refer to it as the “third eye.” It is the pineal gland.
THE MAGICAL, BUT POORLY UNDERSTOOD PINEAL GLAND
Sleep is regulated by melatonin. Many of you may have heard of melatonin as its now marketed as a popular natural supplement for sleep problems. It is released by the pineal gland at night. The pineal gland is a small pine cone shaped organ that sits behind the optic chiasma. It is highly perfused with blood, second only to the kidney. This is interesting to me that such a small gland would need such a high amount of blood flow. We have long associated the pineal gland with sleep wake, or circadian rhythm cycles, but new research is indicating that we have not fully understood this gland. It seems that ancient cultures or even some eastern religions have not forgotten the role of the “third eye,” allegedly the pineal gland. There have been some recently published articles that show Metatonin, related to melatonin, but is DMT based, is produced in the pineal gland of rats. DMT has long thought to be the molecule of consciousness which links the pineal gland to possible higher function than previously thought. Interestingly enough, the pineal glands of those with Alzheimers are completely calcified. Approximately 40% of Americans have their pineal glands calcified by age 17. By old age, the pineal gland has about as much fluoride as teeth do. Why does this happen? Well the pineal gland is not protected by the blood brain barrier, which guards from many toxins and heavy metals. Therefore anything that enters our bloodstream will be exposed to the pineal gland without much protection. This explains why it is especially susceptible to exposure to environmental toxins such as aluminum, fluoride, cadmium, and mercury. “A study on the neuro- logical effects of occupational exposure to aluminum revealed sleep disturbance as a common complaint, with insomnia being reported in 22.4% of cases and sleepiness in 14.9%.”
Calcification seen in the pineal gland under microscope
Not only is the pineal linked to neurologic disorders if malfunctioning or calcified, but it has a strong connection to sleep disorders too. Its easy to understand how psychiatric and neurologic disorders would also disrupt sleep. In fact, a Hong Kong study found psychiatric conditions were the strongest predictors of insomnia in both men and women. The pineal is likely involved in all of these conditions. In one study, the brains of the deceased were examined and aluminum was found in the pineal glands. It accumulates aluminum at a rate that is twice that of other brain regions.
HOW ALUMINUM & GLYPHOSATE CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE PINEAL GLAND AND GUT
This combo can harm us in three different pathways that I’ll be discussing below via the Seneff study. First, through interfering with the CYP450 detox enzymes that also help to make melatonin. Secondly, by causing anemia that leads to hypoxia (decreased oxygenation) which increases the effect of aluminum on neurons (brain cells). Thirdly, through impaired sulfate synthesis in the liver in combination with vitamin D interference. Wow thats a lot of disruption so lets break it down one by one!
1. Enzyme Interference Leading to Disrupted Melatonin and Vitamin D deficiency: Heavy metals like aluminum and mercury are known neurotoxins. In the Seneff paper, it is shown how these two toxicants work together to induce neurological damage. Many studies have now shown that Glyphosate disrupts the gut flora and this predisposes one to overgrowth from Clostridium Difficile. Better known in medical circles as C. Difficile, this nasty bug gives patients abdominal cramping, diarrhea and nausea. It reproduces by spores and can only be killed by using soap and water, not hand sanitizers. The most worrisome part is this bacteria is now being found outside of hospitals and in the community because our immunity is being lowered, in part due to Glyphosate. Both aluminum and glyphosate can enter the body together to cause major issues. Glyphosate chelates, or binds up aluminum. When this happens it can pass by the gut barrier and enter the bloodstream unchecked. This study also shows that both glyphosate and aluminum disrupt the cytochrome CYP450 enzyme which are involved in a number of detox reactions and in melatonin synthesis. P450 enzymes also help to breakdown medications, drugs, pesticides and other toxins, but if inhibited, the likelihood that we will experience toxicity is much higher. The CYP enzymes also are integral to making melatonin. So if we have glyphosate toxicity, we may be inadvertently harming our melatonin and therefore, our natural sleep patterns, leading to insomnia and impaired REM sleep.
“Pigs fed a diet of GM Roundup-Ready corn and soy suffered from an inflamed stomach, clearly suggesting gut dysbiosis. A leaky gut, associated with gastrointestinal disorders, will facilitate the passage of both Al- citrate and Al-glyphosate past the impaired tight junctions of the gut boundary. Glyphosate is a microbicide, and it preferentially kills beneficial gut bacteria allowing pathogens like Clostridium difficile to overgrow.”-http://file.scirp.org/Html/5-3000951_53106.htm
REMEMBER THAT OUR BALANCED GUT FLORA REGULATES MOODS, CRAVINGS, AND IMMUNITY! This is imperative as Glyphosate wipes out good bacteria and promotes a breeding ground for maleficent bacteria.
It has also been noted that vitamin D deficiency, now rampant in the USA, can be caused by interference with the CYP enzymes. The charts from this paper also relates the epidemic of vitamin D deficiency to the correlation of expanding use of Round Up throughout the country.
The Increasing Prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency Courtesy of http://file.scirp.org/Html/5-3000951_53106.htm
There seems to be an important role for CYP enzymes in maintaining the health of the intestinal crypts and the villi in the small intestine, and this paper argues that CYP dysfunction in the gut and liver leads to impaired supply of the neurotransmitters, serotonin, melatonin and sulfate to the brain. It is postulated that celiac disease is caused partially by Glyphosate as it causes CYP enzyme dysfunction as well.
2. Anemia and Hypoxia: The by product of the pathogenic bacteria and Glyphosate breakdown is p-cresol, which it is quite toxic and is linked to autism. Why? P-cresol can increase the uptake of aluminum via a receptor called transferrin. It actually increases aluminum in the body! Aluminum can work synergistically with Glyphosate to produce anemia which can lead to decreased oxygen carrying capacity, known as hypoxia. Hypoxia increases the risks of aluminum’s effects on the neurons. This is also dangerous for the pineal as it loves lots of blood flow, but is inhibited from getting enough oxygen when anemia is present. Babies born with hypoxia due to preterm labor have a higher risk for autism as this hypoxia increases aluminum uptake by the pineal gland. (that has no protection because it doesn’t have the blood-brain barrier, remember?) Its a little like choking the pineal gland out; starving it of oxygen while introducing heavy metals that influence calcification.
Hospital Discharge Diagnoses of Anemia and correlation between Glyphosate applied to corn and soy; courtesy of http://file.scirp.org/Html/5-3000951_53106.htm
3. Impaired sulfate synthesis caused by vitamin D deficiency. Sulfate is an important ingredient in the phase 2 liver detoxification and is the precursor to the master antioxidant, glutathione. It has long been known that children with autism have impaired sulfate synthesis. In fact, these children are missing some very important building blocks like methionine, glutathione and cysteine. What is thought to occur is that glyphosate blocks the formation of these amino acids in plants and gut bacteria. But everyone is forgetting that these are humans’ sources of sulfate-plants and bacteria! We are all connected intimately to bacteria. When we disrupt their natural systems, we also seem to harm our own.
Furthermore, the CYP enzymes are again needed here to activate vitamin D in the kidney and the liver. With aluminum and glyphosate creating a barrier to vitamin D activation, it is thought that this could potentially be behind the vitamin D deficiency epidemic.
How is this defect in vitamin D related to sulfate?
Well, studies show that vitamin D regulates the uptake of sulfate in the kidneys. When the receptor is defective or we are vitamin D deficient, we are not transporting sulfate into the cells in the small intestines and therefore, the brain, (they’re connected!) which affects the proteoglycans, which are necessary for the health GI tract cells. Experiments on mice with impaired vitamin D receptors found that they had lower blood levels of sulfates and were dumping most of it out in their urine. If our GI tract is sick, then are our brains and immunity usually follow suit.
In the brain, the pineal gland conjugates melatonin to sulfate before shipping it out. Vitamin D, tryptophan (used to make the happy neurotransmitter, serotonin), DHEA (the precursor to testosterone), and estrogen are all also sulfated when they are shipped out. Its extremely important to be able to use sulfate.
Sulfate is also proposed to be needed in the body’s mechanism to rid itself of toxic cellular debris, plaques, oxidized lipids and old proteins. Can you see how important sulfate transport and utilization is throughout the entire body?
“In summary, evidence from multiple fronts suggests that sulfate insufficiency is a critical factor in neurological disease. A deficiency in vitamin D, which induces sulfate wasting through the kidneys, leads to it suppressed serotonin synthesis in the brain and excess serotonin synthesis in the placenta, both of which contribute to the pathology of autism in the fetus and the neonate.
It has become very clear that Alzheimer’s is associated with calcification of the pineal gland, and with sharply decreased synthesis of melatonin. When melatonin levels were measured postmortem in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of 85 Alzheimer’s patients and 82 age-matched controls , it was found that CSF melatonin levels in the AD patients were only 20% of the levels found in the control subjects. This was equally true for early-stage Alzheimer’s as for late-stage. Those with two copies of the ApoE-4 marker for Alzheimer’s risk had even lower levels of melatonin than the other Alzheimer’s patients. Computer tomography (CT) was used to show that the amount of calcified pineal tissue in patients with Alzheimer’s disease was significantly more than that in either normal controls, patients with depression, or patients with other types of dementia.”
Although we know calcification can begin very early in life, it is clearly much worse in neurologic conditions, like Alzheimer’s. The pineal gland helps to make sulfate when properly functioning, but calcification has a significant negative effect on its ability to do so. Therefore, aluminum uptake (remember its greater in the pineal gland), will disrupt melatonin and sulfate synthesis needed to run many processes in the body that keep us well.
“In this paper, we have developed the argument that a synergistic interaction between aluminum and glyphosate can lead to severe impairment of pineal gland function, and that this could explain the association of sleep disorder with a wide range of neurological diseases, and likely even help explain the related pathologies of those diseases. We began by showing the remarkably strong correlations between glyphosate application to corn and soy in the US and sleep disorder, autism, ADHD, suicide, anxiety disorder, and dementia. We have shown how glyphosate could assist entry of aluminum into the general circulation through chelation, and how glyphosate would indirectly enhance aluminum absorption by the pineal gland via its induction of p-cresol synthesis by pathogenic gut bacteria. p-Cresol enhances aluminum uptake via transferrin, which is present in large amounts in the pineal gland, and in enhanced amounts under hypoxic stress conditions, induced by both glyphosate and aluminum. We have also discussed the important role of CYP enzyme dysfunction in disrupting vitamin D3 homeostasis and disrupting sulfation and metabolism of melatonin. We have shown that vitamin D3 normally plays an important role in maintaining the health of the intestinal villi in the small intestine, and we have argued that part ofits role may be to supply sulfate to the enterocytes.
Serotonin is the sole precursor to melatonin, and serotonin itself is produced by EC cells in the intestinal villi from tryptophan, one of the three aromatic amino acids whose synthesis is disrupted by glyphosate, through its interference with the shikimate pathway. Since tryptophan is an essential amino acid, we depend upon supply from food sources and/or from our gut bacteria. Thus, it can be expected that glyphosate residues in the food crops introducing exposure to gut microbes would lead to deficiencies in tryptophan and therefore in serotonin and melatonin.”
I couldn’t have said it better than Dr Seneff so I’ll finish with her discussion quote. I hope you all can see how important it is to raise awareness on this topic. We should all be demanding honest and organic food for our families. We should be speaking out against biotech firms who seeks profit over humanity. We should be looking to natural herbs and vitamins to help detox us from herbicides and pesticides. Take care of yourself. You are your own best doctor.
- Séralini G-E, Clair E, Mesnage R, Gress S, Defarge N, 1, Malatesta M, Hennequin D, Spiroux de Vendômois J. Republished study: long-term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize. Environmental Sciences Europe 2014, 26:14.
- Seneff, S. , Swanson, N. and Li, C. (2015) Aluminum and Glyphosate Can Synergistically Induce Pineal Gland Pathology: Connection to Gut Dysbiosis and Neurological Disease. Agricultural Sciences, 6, 42-70. doi: 10.4236/as.2015.61005.
Barker, SA. Front Neurosci. 2018 Aug 6;12:536. dos: 10.3389/fnins.2018.00536. eCollection 2018. N, N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT), an Endogenous Hallucinogen: Past, Present, and Future Research to Determine Its Role and Function.